"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. " Mark Twain

Friday, 28 September 2012

Now at Azofra

This is sheer luxury as there are cubicles and not a dormitory. I am sharing with a pilgrim from Iowa. Have been walking a few days with an Italian guy from Milan and chatting to a lady from Ireland, one from melbourne. Lots of Aussies on the road. First day we have had some rain which lasted about an hour and it is now quite cold. After the Aragones I am superfit and have walked 270 kms already. On reflection I now realise that the very fit young guys I tried to keep up with had started from Oleron St Marie in France so by the time I joined them in Spain they had already got into the 'rhythm so I didn't stand a chance. If I could some one to join me, I would walk it again. Its isolation and remoteness is awesome - but not for an elderly lady walking on her own! I am finding the walking a breeze but am walking a slower pace and shorter distances than last year. I only report for duty on Sunday so I am thinking of walking past Granon tomorrow and then walking back on Sunday. Everyone is hobbling around with blisters. I am not sure why I have them this year. Perhaps it is the shoes. I also notice that this time around most pilgrims are in trail shoes and not boots although boots on the Aragones would have been ideal. I am sitting in a bar with a glass of vino tinto because there is wifi here. Will join my Italian friend for dinner at 8 tonight. My Spanish is coming along well and the hours I spent learning it is paying dividends.
---

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.