We left in freezing weather as dawn was breaking at 8.15am with frost on the ground and puddles all iced up. It was a good day of walking and we have now done our last major uphill so its downhill from now on. Our calculations were a bit out and we ended up doing 31 km together with those who also started out with us. It turned out to be brilliantly sunny day without a cloud in the sky but we are cold to the bone tonight. Fortunately there is heating in the room but the albergue is filled to capacity. I am counting the days now until I can once again sleep on my own and not with hordes of pilgrims. Have just bumped into 2 more of my Granon pilgrims. Shorter day tomorrow as we want to walk to Gordon Bell's albergue. Gordon was from Cape Town and it is just outside Portion.
---
Jen - Just as well you like the cold! I remember you regretted that I spoke you out of walking your first Camino in winter!
ReplyDeleteGordon is actually an old Durban boy who moved to the Cape. He is still a great Sharks supporter. Give him a big hug from me when you get there.
Brrr, Jenny. It makes me cold to read about starting out at dawn in freezing cold. How is Maggie holding up? Did she bring you gloves? I did not expect there to be hordes of pilgrims at this time of year, even in Sarria. The call of the Camino is getting stronger and stronger.
ReplyDeleteI left a phone message for Rachel about how you sleep in her silk shirt to stay warm and also told her about the email from Marina, in case she's not checking her mail. (Didn't you love Marina's English -- sounded just like her.) I had showed Rachel how to get to your blog and she read it all and loved it. She tried to leave comments, but I don't think they went through.
You mention that you miss having a room to yourself and clean clothes, but you say nothing about missing cooking for 40 pilgrims and bleaching toilets. I'm sure that's an oversight. I myself have not turned the stove on except to heat water since I got home. Yesterday I found myself looking at the bathroom sink and thinking, "Somebody ought to clean this."
Warm hugs, Jenny Peregrina. Love your blog. B