Because of the pouring rain no one saw much of Fromista and we spent a lot of the afternoon in sleeping bags. I left in the rain with my Californian friends, Marcus and Miriam at 8am this morning and we walked another 20 kms in 4 hours to Carrion de las Condes in the rain again, arriving soaking wet and cold. I started off with wet shoes that hadn't dried from the day before and by the time I got here I was squelching in them. I am so sorry I didn't bring my gaiters. We are staying in a 13 th century convent Santa Clara, which is quite spartan. I shared lunch with my friends and we will do a joint supper and breakfast. We have spent the afternoon in our sleeping bags to keep warm and waiting for the shops to open at 5pm. A Spanish pilgrim who was at Granon on the same night as Miriam and Marcus, has joined us in the dormitory so here we all are from Granon some 150 kms later. (I remember commenting to Rachel at Granon what a fine face he has. We were also at the same albergue in Castrojerez.). We understand that the heating will be turned on at 8pm so we might be able to dry out our clothes. Tomorrow is either 20 kms or 26 kms, depending on the rain but it is probably settled in for the next few days. If you are reading this Barbara and Rachel - they talk about the best 3 hospitaleras at Granon who greeted everyone with such welcoming smiles. They were there the night that the Spanish family with the 2 boys arrived at 8pm and the 4 Spanish medical students arrived after we had started eating. It was the Thurs night before the Spanish holiday.
---
Yes, I'm reading and yes, I remember that night in Granon. I believe you were cooking that amazing chicken stew that stretched to fill the bowl of every pilgrim who straggled in, no matter how many or how late. I didn't know those young men were medical students, but they certainly had good manners.
ReplyDeleteI remember that little albergue just before Carrion de los Condes and am sorry to say I walked right by it rather than wait for it to open. That was one of the days when I had imaginary bedbugs and had to get a hotel room so I could wash everything and inspect all seams for little bodies. I love the picture of you sharing a meal there with our pilgrims and waiting for the heat to come on so you could dry your socks. Please remember to pass your camera to another pilgrim every now and then so we can see pictures of you.