"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. " Mark Twain

Wednesday, 17 October 2012

Wednesday

I left Casteljerez at 8 am this morning and as I started climbing the mountain just outside Casteljerez I looked back to see dawn breaking with a brilliant red sky and after that about 3 or 4 rainbows in the sky. Then the heavens opened at it was heavy driving rain for the next 27 kms to Fromista. There are 6 pilgrims here at this albergue tonight and I am so happy to be with reunited 2 special pilgrims who stayed with us at Granon - Marcus and Miriam from California. They say that Granon has been their best experience so far. We shared a simple meal tonight. I have been seeing our pilgrims all along the way and they greet me very warmly. The weather is bad news and rain and cold is predicted for the next 4 days. There will be no protection from the elements on the Meseta. My shoes are sodden and hope they will dry. I am grateful for the clothes donated by Barbara and Rachel and wish I had room for Barbara's sleeping bag she offered to me as my light one is now inadequate for this weather.
---

1 comment:

  1. Now that I am home and in familiar surroundings and utterly comfortable, I miss Granon and you and us three so much. The deprivations seem charming now. Your kindness and diplomacy and strength have reached archetypal levels. It's that Camino thing. Even though I was on a stationary Camino, a tough day on Camino is better than a good day off.

    I hope you are finding newspapers every night to put in those boots. Rainbows followed by a deluge is so odd that you may have walked into another reality. Hope it dries up there really soon. In May in Hontanas or Hornillos -- one of those little towns -- I met a woman from California who swore that she could change the weather by singing: "Blue skies, fluffy white clouds, blue skies, fluffy white clouds" in a singsong rhythm like a children's song. I was embarrassed by how goofy she sounded and then, of course, found myself singing that dumb song all the way to Santiago.

    If you're still with Marcus and Miriam, please say hello from me. I love it that you are getting to be with pilgrims on whom you lavished so much care and attention. My son would say that's quick karma.

    I have posted two other posts from my phone and they haven't shown up. Now I am trying from the computer. If the other ones finally drift onto your blog, forgive my repetitions.

    Keep writing, dear Jenny. It means so much to me. Abrazos. B

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.