Thanks for all your valued comments Syl. What another amazing day. Last pilgrims left at 8.30 am and the first arrived at 9am while we had just started to clean so we set him down with some coffee, muesli and fruit. He turned out to be a wonderful doctor from Holland and he has been such a joy to have here all day. At first we thought we would be quiet but by the time I started cooking at 5 pm there were 21. I was making mixed ensalade as primero plato and chicken casserole for next, followed by apple crumble made by Barbara. Within half an hour the numbers had grown and even while we were in the middle of supper they still arrived and we simply got out more chairs, set a place for them and dished out some supper. In the end we had 35. I sat looking at all these pilgrims across the tables and I simply cannot believe I cooked a meal for all of them as if I have been doing it all my life. We have put the latecomers which includes a Spanish family with 2 boys aged 12 and 8, in the chapel. We call it the abajo-abajo. I am beginning to use Spanish words for things now instead of the english one. I am on breakfast duty tomorrow so will set my alarm for 5.50 (dawn only breaks at 8am). Syl is right - it is hard work but hey, who gets to spend 2 weeks in the most beautiful little Spanish pueblo and to be rewarded and enriched by such wonderful and inspiring pilgrims. The locals all know us now. Some of the houses are 16 and 17 century. Countryside is also lovely
---
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.